Mad Men is one of the most popular TV shows to ever grace our screens. Set in the cut-throat world of a 1960s advertising company, there are plenty of sleekly dressed characters. Don Draper, the suave protagonist of the show, is famous for his impeccable side parting. Here's how to get the ultimate Mad Men haircut.
How to Get Don Draper's Hair
Out of all the Mad Men hairstyles, Don Draper's comb over is perhaps the most iconic look. When you usually think of men's hair from the 60s, the image of a hippie mop top comes to mind, fortunately, there were still plenty of more formal cuts around.
His traditional side part look has been popular with men since the beginning of the 20th Century and Although there are plenty of ways you can modernise this look, keeping things simple is the safest way to ensure you achieve a timeless style.
How to Get a Side Part
- Firstly, get your barber to give you a tapered fade on the back and sides of your head. Depending on how deep you want your parting you can ask for a shorter fade.
- For a hard part, ask your barber to shave a line in your hair where you want it to separate.
- Use a fine-toothed comb to drag the bulk of your hair across to one side, creating a natural parting alone the side.
- Use your comb and a hairdryer to structure the parting.
- Finish it off using some comb over hair product to add hold and texture to your side part.
Inspiration: Don Draper Side Part
Need a little further inspiration? Check out some more of Don Draper's iconic cuts below. Whether you prefer the ultra slick comb over or a slightly longer and textured style, there's something for every man. Get your hands on some Mad Men hair product and you'll be rocking this timeless cut in no time.
How to Get Don Draper's Style
After you've learnt how to do Mad Men hair, it's time to look at the best outfit to go with it. Whilst he rocks one of the best manly haircuts around, Don Draper's style doesn't end at his head. If you want to fully embody the class that comes with men's hair from the 60s then it's time to start wearing some suits. Get your hand on a classic fitting suit and team it with a crisp white dress shirt, a tie and some smart shoes to complete the look.
How to Get Don Draper's Haircut
- Begin by getting a classic taper fade on the back and sides of your head.
- Keep your hair healthy by conditioning regularly.
- Use a fine-toothed comb and a hairdryer to create a neat side part.
- Apply a small amount of wax, pomade or Brylcreem to give you a slick wet look. It's easily the best gel to use for a comb over.
- Pick out a classy suit to finish this suave style.
On That Note
The side comb hairstyle is a timeless look and isn't going to go out of fashion anytime soon. 60s men's hairstyles will work on anyone regardless of face shape, the thickness of your locks, or if your hair is curly or straight. If you're sat there wondering how to comb your hair men, then Don Draper is a good place to look.
If you're watching Mad Men, wondering how to be Don Draper, then his side slicked hairstyle is a good place to start. So head out into the world with your pomade, a scotch on the rocks and your Mad Men attitude in full force.